Not everyone wants to commit to making a gift in their wills or estates. Some prefer the increased flexibility that a beneficiary designation provides by using:
- IRAs and retirement plans
- Life insurance policies
- Commercial annuities
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift. Here's how to name Hardin-Simmons University as a beneficiary:
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us, along with the percentage you chose, on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank or financial institution.
An Example of How It Works
Robert and Carol treasure the financial help they've been able to give their children and HSU over the years. The couple updated their will to leave stocks and real estate to their kids. And they left HSU a $20,000 IRA to be transferred after their death. Because HSU is tax-exempt, all $20,000 will help support our mission.
If Robert and Carol had left the IRA to their children, approximately $18,000* would have gone to pay federal income taxes—leaving only $57,000 for their family's use. Robert and Carol are happy knowing they are making the most of their hard-earned money thanks to their updated estate plan.
*Based on an assumption of a 24 percent marginal income tax bracket.
See How It Works
Are You Prepared for the Future?
Create a secure future for you and your loved ones with our FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit.Download My Free Kit
- Contact Eric Bruntmyer, President, or one of our development officers at (325) 670-1260 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on beneficiary designations and how they can help support HSU with our mission.
- Talk to your financial or legal advisor to learn which assets will or will not trigger taxable income when paid to a beneficiary.
- If you name HSU in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Hardin-Simmons University
Address: 2200 Hickory Street / Box 16100 / Abilene, TX 79698-6100
Federal Tax ID Number: 75-0808791